Sunday, February 05, 2006

I-81 - The Saga Continues

Several valley legislators are at odds with the recent proposal submitted by Star Solutions to widen Interstate 81.

Personally, I think Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, made a good point when he said valley residents, "certainly do not want an eight to 12-lane monstrosity of a road running up and down the valley."

Apparently, House Majority Leader Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, disagrees saying, "If you continue to throw out the good in search of the perfect, you'll never get I-81 improved."

As a resident of the valley, I think Rockbridge County Del. Ben Cline has the most practical solution when he suggests fixing "choke points" on the highway. In addition, he suggests $1.9 million in new spending over the next two years to hire 10 additional state troopers to patrol along I-81. I hope he gets it.

I also hope the new troopers start pulling over reckless truck drivers who speed, run people off the road, and make I-81 a very dangerous road to travel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home